Slow-Cooker Black Bean Ragout with Cumin Crema and Garlicky Toasts
Original recipe from Smitten Kitchen
For the beans
1 large yellow onion, diced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 TBSP cumin
1/2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 lb. (2 1/2 cups) dried black beans, soaked overnight
1 dried chile, or 1/2 red chili flakes
2 TBSP tomato paste
2 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
8 cups vegetable stock
1 TBSP lime juice or sherry vinegar
For the toast
Crusty bread cut into 1-inch slices
1 garlic clove, cut in half
1 tsp ground cumin
1 cup sour cream, creme fraiche or crema Mexicana (we used plain Greek yogurt)
Garnish with red onion, green onion, cilantro and/or lime wedges
Quick-Pickled Red Onion
1 medium red onion, finely chopped
2 TBS lime juice
1/4 tsp salt
1. Combine all of the bean ingredients (except for the lime or sherry) in a slow cooker, and stir to combine. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours, or low for 6-8 hours. (We always recommend soaking your dried beans overnight so they are tender. This is a perfect dish to throw together before work, let it cook all day, and come home to a bubbly pot of beans that smell delicious.)
2. Once the beans are cooked, stir in the lime or sherry. Taste and adjust the seasoning to your desired tastes.
For the toast
1. Preheat broiler.
2. Brush the toast slices with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
3. Put on a baking sheet and place in the oven until the toast is golden. WARNING: DO NOT WALK AWAY. Broilers are a great tool to burn your bread. We always set a timer for 4 minutes as soon as we start the broiler. Flip if you desire both sides toasty like us.
4. Remove from the oven and immediately rub with a sliced garlic clove.
* Pro Tip: We like to have garlic-infused olive oil on hand. Chrissy Teigen has a great recipe that makes a lot and is amazing in and on just about anything.
For the crema In a small bowl, mix cumin and Greek yogurt. Stir to combine.
For the Quick-Pickled Onions Combine ingredients, and let marinate at least 15 minutes before serving. It should turn a pretty pinkish color and have a delicious acidity from the lime. This dish is also amazing with Pico de Gallo, avocado, and cilantro on top.
Plate and Enjoy! Spoon beans onto the toasted bread, top with all the goods and dig in!
This recipe makes A LOT! It is excellent over rice if you don't have bread. If you want bonus points, make your own country loaf.